11.08.2011

White Bean Chicken Chili

It’s finally here, at 1030a tomorrow the boy and I leave for the black sand beaches of Costa Rica and on Friday I will marry the man of my dreams. The last two weeks have been a whirl wind complete with one nasty cold, a bridal shower, a fun filled bachelorette weekend with my bestest friends and last minute packing. I apologize for the lack of posting but I think it’s safe to say those of you that have been through this before can empathize.

So before I go spend the next two weeks in the rain forest with little to no internet access I figured I would leave you with one of my favorite fall dishes, White Bean Chicken Chili. It’s hearty, it’s spicy, it’s down right delicious and I make it by the ton this time of year. While beans aren’t ‘technically’ Primal they are packed with protein and if you live an 80 / 20 lifestyle this is a dish you should definitely try.


White Bean Chicken Chili
Serves 6 – 8

2 bone in skin on chicken breasts, roasted and shredded
4 tablespoons butter
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 roasted poblano peppers, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon white pepper
Pinch red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
5 cups homemade chicken stock
2 cans cannelloni beans, rinsed
½ bunch cilantro, finely chopped
½ cup heavy cream

In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add the butter, garlic, onion, peppers, spices and herbs and allow to cook until the onions are translucent. Add the chicken stock, shredded chicken, 2 cans of beans and chopped cilantro and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Cut the heat and add the heavy cream.

Serve in a large bowl topped with fresh cilantro, grated cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

Print

No comments:

Post a Comment